Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Review from Mama Neena

November 15th, 2008
Here is what Mama Neena had to say about Mommy's High Heel Shoes!

"I love books.  I have never made any bones about the fact that I am a book freak!  I have this weird obsession with owning books and having them surround me at any given moment.  I swear my decorating style is Early American paperback.  My children are the same way.  We have shoved reading and books down their throats since each of them was a fetus.  They love books and my son can read in the bathroom like seasoned old man!  

That is partly why I was so excited for the chance to do a book review.  Not only is this my first review here on MamaNeena, but it is also my chance to review a new children's book.  Books and kids - I'd say I've got that covered pretty well, wouldn't you!?

The book is called Mommy's High Heel Shoes by Kristie Finnan. She was gracious enough to send me an autographed copy and the kids and I all felt like we were opening a present when it arrived.    

This is the story of a young girl named Cakes. Cakes uses the time her mommy is at work to try on the many shoes her mother has in her closet.  It is during this playtime that she discovers the many different roles and jobs her mommy must have.    I was immediately struck with the originality of the story.  It was such a nice change to see a book that looked beyond the role of 'mommy' to show that women fill many shoes throughout their day and their lives.  They work, garden, cook, socialize, and take care of their families all while still attempting to takes care of themselves.  

It did a great job showing how a mother can do more for her family by taking a little time and doing something for herself.  Wearing fancy shoes makes Cake's mommy feel good and that helps her to be a better mother.  I felt drawn to this particular idea because I think one of the first things mothers tend to do is put themselves on the back burner for the sake of their children.  We often struggle with guilt when trying to do things for ourselves.  But, this book makes a point to show that taking that time for ourselves is better for our children in the long run because it makes us better mothers.  

The artwork for this book is bright, colorful, and full of little details that make it pop.   It definitely had a traditional feel to it with the details within the pictures adding a modern twist.  Think of it as 1950's art meets 'have it all' mom of the new millennium.   The book also includes hidden pictures on each page so that my children and I could find them together.  

After I read the book I turned my children lose on it.  My four year old daughter immediately pointed out all the things I do just like Cake's mommy.   She did ask me if the daddy in the book stayed home while the mommy worked.  I told her I didn't know, but she informed me that he probably did because somebody needed to take care of  the kids.  I suppose in her eyes all families have a parent that stays home.  But, I was comforted in knowing that she didn't find it even a little bit strange for the traditional roles to be reversed.  My son was fascinated with searching for the hidden pictures.  I guess that is expected considering his nickname used to be 'Waldo.'

I can honestly say that this book was not only enjoyable for me to read, but also entertaining for my children.  That, alone, is worth a pretty good review.  The author was also kind enough to offer my readers a 10% discount when ordering the book.  Just enter the code mama on the website when your purchase the book.  Offer expires 12/31/08.  This would make a great gift for any working mother and child for the upcoming holiday season.  

Now I just need to see if I can fit another book on to the already overcrowded kid bookshelf. For this one I'm sure I can make room!"

I'm glad you all loved it.  Thanks Mama Neena!!  To see Mama Neena's blog click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Mommy's High Heel Shoes-Reading Time Gone Mobile!

Now you can download Mommy's High Heel Shoes for your ipod touch, iphone or computer right from the iTunes App store and for a limited time just .99 cents! Your child can read along with the book or watch when you are in the car or out and about. Now screen time can be reading time too! Here is a 25% off code: MHHS. Just type the code in at the Mobistories.com checkout!